Friday, March 7, 2014

The Elephant Sanctuary

A week ago the six of us volunteers here at Door of Hope loaded ourselves and packed lunches into the van for an adventure on volunteer's day off. Our first top was a large flea market where we bartered like pros for cultural treasures and declined the intrusive inviting shouts of the sellers to just come back and look at one more thing. In the end, we were able to find beautiful and unique keepsakes of the culture I know I'll keep forever.

We continued our trip through the drizzly South African hills to the Elephant Sanctuary. Watching the African elephants walk silently toward us through the trees was one of the most beautiful things I've seen. We were able to touch the elephants, running our hands over their thick skin and through their wiry tails, and feeling the skin behind their ears, so soft it surprised us. The elephants even gave us kisses, blowing dirt on our faces in the process.

Afterwards we walked with them, their trunks wrapped around our fingers.

(the other team, Karen, Robyn, Tasha, Melissa, and Kandace)

(our post elephant walk victory march)

(the best surprise when I looked through my pictures)


I am so thrilled we could do this. Watching elephants on Planet Earth, although inspiring and beautiful, could never compare to interacting so closely to them in person.

3 comments:

  1. I seriously am in love with this. I think elephants are such majestic animals, oh my goodness they're just beautiful. love you rachie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great - how fun. (ps I love your bag. ;)) x

    ReplyDelete