Thursday, February 6, 2014

Settling In

I've been in South Africa for 8 days now and feel so blessed I didn't experience any jet lag or sickness. I honestly feel as well as I did at home. (Especially this morning because I was able to sleep in until 10:15. Ah!)

I live in the flat, attached to the baby house, with two girls from Holland (they are leaving tomorrow and I am so sad to see them go). I love living here. During breaks I come over to this quiet space and make my own lunch, take a nap, or do some reading. I can always hear children playing in the room next to me or babies crying above me, but that's not a disturbance. Being so close to the activity makes me feel like I am really a part of the organization and can participate whenever I want to. Even on days when I don't work I am free to go upstairs and help with the babies or visit with the other volunteers.


(walking to The Glen (a mall close to us) to see Twelve Years A Slave. So sad. I wept.)

(the pool is being filled as I type, but a couple of days ago, kiddie pools were the next best thing)

We drove to Berea Baptist Church on Sunday. The joy, music, dancing, praise, and worship that filled the small room was beautiful. I hope I get to go again and see their zeal for Christ. On the way to Church we drove through Johannesburg. City parks are strewn with litter, so many people walk out into the street to beg and try to sell things, and piles of trash lay out on street corners. It is so, so sad and definitely opened my eyes to the need of the city and darkness (spiritual and material) they live in. Last night we ate at Little Italy and walked to our car in the dark. We noticed a man in the street and Delia (the lovely woman who drove us) told us he was the guard. Even in a nice neighborhood there are extra precautions taken to be safe, and we always look over our shoulder and are aware of who is around us.

(the babies were buzzed. they all look so different and old now.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see more pictures and hear more about your story!!! Praying for you! Love and miss! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, Glad to hear that God is using you. Please look over both shoulders...behind, to the side, in front....a 360 degree look. Love, Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Rachael; keep experiencing life!

    ReplyDelete