Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Reserve

Yesterday the other volunteers and I had a lovely evening with our dear friend Delia, a lady who comes a few times a week to play with the babies and visit. I think of her as a grandmother to the kids. They know her and love her. She is so giving of her time, picking us up from grocery shopping or going out to eat with us, and we are so appreciative and thankful for her friendship.

She drove us over to the reserve yesterday for an evening of simple fellowship and enjoying nature. The reserve has many kinds of animals running around and in our short excursion yesterday (we probably walked for 1/2 mile), we saw a herd of zebras and wildebeest. Walking on the red dirt and breathing in the clean air was refreshing, and we came back to the gathering to enjoy grilled burgers with a table full of condiments.

Tomorrow two other volunteers and myself are going to the mountains for a few days to visit and help with a different program Door of Hope is connected to. We are so excited to experience another part of the culture here (and get out of the city for a bit).

Despite some homesickness and missing dear friends, I am loving my time here. I hope to blog more often and share specifically what I've been experiencing and the wonderful people God has brought into my life. Too often I'm awake just long enough for a short Skype call and then jump into bed. I covet prayers for this next few days as we're away and look forward to filling you in on what unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. So cool to see what you are up to! Miss you! Praying <3

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. I love their red dirt. ;) Sounds over-lovely rachel. :) x

    ReplyDelete